Sunday, October 30, 2011

I'm waving it (Part deux)

When I first started with Jason Ferruggia's Muscle Gaining Secrets programme, the very first training template comprised of just the three basic lifts: squat, benchpress, and deadlift.  I was to start with 3x5, then 4x5, then 5x5, all the way to 8x5 and only then increase the weight.  By the time I hit 8x5 I'm already psyched and my body is more than ready to lift more weight.

This is what was lacking in the 5x5 programme.  I didn't feel so confident to increase the weights.  I still felt I was too weak.  It's like my body didn't have sufficient time to get ready for heavier stuff.

So I changed things up a bit, in a sense that I 'wave' my work sets.  My total work set is still 5, but the weight varies with each set.  But instead of sticking to 5 reps per set (hence 5x5) I now increase the number of reps for the earlier, lighter sets.

I discover that my body adapts to the later, heavier sets much better and I'm able to increase the weights I lift faster.  I'm only 3 training sessions into this 'modified 5x5' and so far the results are pretty promising.  Let's see how far I can take this until my body tells me to deload.

No comments: