Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Kettlebell swings with thumbless grip

Yep... More thumbless grip experiments.

This time it's about swinging the kettlebell with thumbless grips. Again, this thumbless idea came from Jedd Johnson of Diesel Crew... Pretty much the go-to guys on all things grip strength related.

And yes, the thumbless grip kettlebell swing is used to strengthen your grip. So right after my squat training I did 6 sets of 30s/30s swings, and I discovered that my forearms were burning by the third set. My grip was still okay.

There is a possibility that apart from my grip, my forearms are also my weakest link. Pretty logical since the forearms hardly get any direct work unlike the legs, back, traps and even triceps.

Anyway.... Back to the swings. Swings are really cool. Leaves you drenched as if you just jumped into a pool, trains your breathing, and increases cardiovascular endurance. Plus it sure as heck is not boring like jogging is. And now you can even use swings to improve your grip strength.

All in all, an exercise that is value for time. If you haven't tried it, you should. You can use dumbbells if you don't have kettlebells. So you really do not have much of an excuse.

No comments: