Thursday, April 12, 2012

Dumbbells... So Underrated!

There was a phase I went through where I left my pair of dumbbells gathering dust.  I used the plates on the barbell, but the dumbbell handles are left in a dark corner, and hardly ever saw the light of day.  The barbell was the ultimate tool to get strong and dumbbells do not have a place in the grand scheme of things.

Boy, was I a bloody idiot!

Trust me when I say that you can still get awfully strong with only a pair of dumbbells and nothing else.  Heck, I honestly think you can get crazy strong with nothing else but dumbbells and bodyweight stuff.   In my opinion, anyone who is thinking of strength training, ESPECIALLY the girls, would not hurt starting their training career with a pair of adjustable dumbbells.

Dumbbells are less intimidating than the barbell and easier to master.  It gives you a good foundation when you start training with a barbell.  Heck, I started 'serious strength training' with dumbbells just 3 years ago!  And finally, below are a list of my favourite dumbbell exercises, in no particular order:
  1. Snatches
  2. Clean and press
  3. Farmers walk
  4. Lunges (I have a love/hate relationship with lunges)
  5. Step-ups
  6. Military press
  7. Goblet squat
Hmm.. I can already think of a few tough training sessions just looking at the list above.  Do you have any other dumbbell exercises that you love?  Care to share?

No comments: