Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Stiff Arm Pulldowns

The best lat exercise is still the pull up.  There is no doubt about that.  But many of us, yours truly included, simply do not have the strength to execute a pull up properly.  Hence the pull up becomes a very ugly looking bicep exercise instead.

I have been experimenting with the stiff arm pulldown as a substitute for the pull up.  Both work the lats but while the pull up is more bad ass, the pulldown can be properly executed by more people.  And the stiff arm pulldown can really smoke your lats like crazy.

I did 3 sets of 15-rep stiff arm pulldowns yesterday and my lats are begging me for mercy today.

If you go to the gym, just use the cable machine and get cracking like how the lady in the vid does it.  If like me, you don't have access to a cable machine, you can use a resistance band instead..  Just loop it over something overhead, hold it with both hands (like you would the reigns of a horse) and pull away.

4 comments:

Iezan Tajuddin Woods said...

do u think its save for preggers?I saw the same machine at this new gym i just sign up last week..but they have no proper coach ar..

Aizan Suhaira said...

Hard to say. For you I'd personally go for bodyweight stuff only. Very basic things. But don't take my word for it. Best to ask a qualified trainer. Preferably someone who has worked with pregnant women before.

Anonymous said...

Cool! I like the idea that stiff arm pulldowns are great for swimmers. The fitness first in empire gallery is the only FF gym that have a swimming pool that I go to for my workout, fitness classes as well as swimming. Thanks for sharing.

Aizan Suhaira said...

Yeah definitely great for swimmers! Would be fab if you can incorporate stiff arm pulldowns into your training programme.