Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Supplements you should consider

Right.  So what supplements should a fitness junkie wannabe take? Admittedly, there are a lot of valid supplements out there.  But if you are on a budget or don't really enjoy popping pills or both (that's me), I think these are the bare essentials you should consider taking:

1. Fish Oil
Consume your fish oil.  Don't play around with it and make fish shapes with it.

Very important.  The benefits are proven: helps fat loss, helps maintain lean muscle, helps prevent osteoporosis, improves brain power... Bla bla bla.  I presume everyone already knows the virtue of fish oil (not to be confused with cod liver oil).

2. Greens supplement

One of the recommended greens supplement.
They deliver to Malaysia but it doesn't suit
everyone's pockets.
Remember when you were a kid and your mom told you to eat your greens?  Well, she was on to something.  Consuming vegetables are important not only for the obvious reasons, but it is crucial in ensuring that our bodies remain in an alkalic state.  And for those allergic to milk, did you know that calcium from vegetables is easier absorbed by our bodies compared to calcium from milk?  Cool huh?

Obviously, it is better if you eat your vegetables rather than take a greens supplement. But there is only so much greens you can stomach in one day. And the amount of greens you need to consume in order to reap the full benefits is huge.  That's where the greens supplement comes in.  Unfortunately, I can't find a suitable greens supplement in Malaysia.  You can get it delivered from overseas but heck it's pretty pricey.

So my alternative is to juice my vegetables.  I make it a point to drink at least one glass of juiced vegetables each day.  Yes, I have even juiced spinach, watercress, and kailan (kailan belongs to the kale family). Even ginger.  I mix whatever I can find and blend them together.  But I have to say my base ingredients are apples, celery, carrots, lemon and ginger.  These are my bare minimum.

3. Apple Cider Vinegar
This is one of the most popular brand
and easily available in supermarkets
and pharmacies.  Very affordable too.

Say what? ACV is not a supplement.  You're damn right it isn't.  And that is what makes it even better.  Your supplement isn't really a supplement.  And the best part is it doesn't cost a bomb.  Pour in two tablespoons of organic ACV (it MUST be organic. MUST!!!!!!!) into a glass of water and drink up. Why must it be organic?  Organic ACV has the 'mother' swimming around.  That's where it gets its health benefits.

So what are the benefits of ACV? It helps to alkalize our body. It helps lower blood cholesterol.  It helps build muscle. It makes your skin clearer. It helps improve your immune system. It has anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. In short, it does wonders.

Yeah yeah, I know.  ACV has a very strong taste.  Indeed it does.  You'll need to get used to it.  Try mixing it with some juice.  Or add it into your fresh vegetable juice concoction  Me, I just dilute two tablespoons of organic ACV into 700ml of water and drink up. Do whatever it takes.  To me, you can't go wrong with ACV.  No home should be without one.  That's how strongly I feel about it.

So there you go.  My list of  'supplements' that should be in your must have list.

No comments: