Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Journey of Learning

When I first started going to the gym I was like a headless chicken.  Unsure of what I'm doing.  Paranoid as heck.  I felt if I didn't hit at least half the machines available I will be wasting my time.  Luckily for me, I'm very inquisitive and it wasn't long until I started to go online to research about all things fitness related.

I count my blessings when I discovered a blog which seemed to be popular.  Lots of readers.  Lots of comments.  And more importantly, decent content.

I credit everything that I've learned thus far from that blog.  Because from that blog, I discovered other blogs, other fitness enthusiasts, other fitness experts.  The decisions that I've made, the things that I've learned... it may never have happened if not for that fortuitous day when I discovered it.

A weird thing happened though.  While I *think* I've advanced somewhat in my knowledge about fitness and (a little bit) about nutrition the blog that I used to frequent seemed to stagnate.  It's the same thing over and over and over again.  Nothing new.  Same old same old.  You get the idea.

The blogger has achieved tremendous success today.  And I'm very happy for the person.  When you work hard for something, you deserve it.  No doubt.

But at the same time I feel that we have chosen different paths: I am deemed what some may call 'hardcore' while the blogger has chosen to advocate more mainstream things.  And talk about things like how fructose spiked milk is bad for the children of the nation and how the government has this hidden agenda of making kids fat and stupid.  On another note, I wonder why the blogger kept quiet when the government made the initiative to ban 'sinful' food like nasi lemak.  Goes to show people only pay attention to the bad things and don't acknowledge the good ones.

But I digress.

I guess this is bound to happen when you embark on a journey of learning.  You can't expect your primary one school teacher to guide you all the way until you graduate from university.  As you become more knowledgeable you will of course seek those who are more knowledgeable than you.

It would be great if your initial teacher progresses at the same rate (if not faster) as you.  But sometimes it just doesn't happen that way.

1 comment:

Mohd Shahril said...

when you learn more about training, the more you DONT know. Thats how i felt. It always some new things to learn and experiment on.

Thats why i hate blogs that repeat the same thing: how to get 'tone' (which the terms that pisses me off), how to get the 6 pack (in the fridge maybe?).