"The iron is the best antidepressant I have ever found. There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength. Once the mind and body has been awakened to its true potential, it is impossible to turn back."
How true. Lifting is by far the best thing that I have ever discovered for myself. How I wished I've discovered it sooner. Especially during my years spent in Hellhole (that's the uni I went to). Indeed, the iron has yet to fail to lift me out of any emotional rut that I sometimes find myself in. After every session I become so much more relaxed. Who needs a shrink when you have the barbell, eh?
How does lifting help me specifically? Off the top of my head...
- Gives me something to look forward to
- Makes me more disciplined. I've a feeling without weightlifting I'll go down a downward spiral of the typically unhealthy hedonistic lifestyle.
- Gives me a sense of achievement - very important for the typical Type A personality
- Provides structure in my life
- Introduced me to like-minded souls
- More self confidence
- A more effective outlet to release anger (I have a short fuse)
How has weightlifting helped you with life in general? Care to share?