Monday, February 27, 2012

Barbell snatch vs. Dumbbell snatch - which is better?

Well, the barbell snatch is definitely more bad ass. But it is much harder to learn and control as opposed to the dumbbell snatch. I tweaked my right trap doing the barbell snatch even though I lifted very light. Goes to show technique is of the utmost importance.

Luckily for me it was just a minor tweak and I am happy to report that I am as good as new. But it did got me thinking about the merits of the dumbbell snatch.

The dumbbell snatch is just as taxing but much easier to learn. Plus, it also allows your shoulder to follow a more natural movement. But what I like most about the dumbbell snatch is it gives both arms a fair amount of work. With the barbell snatch, it seems like my right side compensates for the weakness of my left side. Which is also why I think I tweaked my right trap in the first place.

So for now I will be using more dumbbell snatches while I perfect my barbell snatch technique.

No comments: