Sunday, February 21, 2010

A hardgainer's diet...

This week will be the last week I'll be doing the Meatheads programme. I am planning to do the original bodyweight programme after this. That'll keep me busy for a few more months before I start planning on which TT programme to take on next.

Again, the workouts are pretty much a non-issue. I enjoy my workouts and nowadays I can complete the circuits pretty quickly. But I have to stress that the workouts are not easy. The reason why the circuits end quickly is because I take minimal rest between sets. Hence increasing the intensity.

Anyway, what I wanted to say is the workouts are not the real challenge. The real challenge is the diet. I need to eat more. And I need to eat clean. Eating more is easy. But eating more clean food (i.e. natural, not processed food) is a tough task. So far I can think of two ways to make my diet 'cleaner':

  1. Blender drinks - this is recommended by DailyMuscle and from what I can see, it's not that tough to prepare. I can actually prepare the ingredients beforehand, put them in nice little containers and when I need a drink I'll just whip one of the containers out and chuck the contents into a juicer and wham! I have a meal ready. The only thing is... I don't have a juicer. Surprise. Surprise.
  2. Weight gainers - Weight gain powder could be an okay way of adding up the calories. The sugar contents are a bit high, but I think I can deal with that. But the cost of a tub of weight gainer is the same as the cost of a juicer.
Okay, so I have a bit of a cash constraint. Yes, I know the quest to gaining mass will mean I have to shell out more moolah for my diet but sheesh. It's a bit tough. Alas, it is a necessary evil. I'm going to buy myself a tub of weight gainers first. I'll buy a juicer when there's a sale going on.

If you have some tips and tricks for me on how to have healthy meals for someone on a budget and has a time constraint AND who doesn't like to cook (I know, tall order huh?), I would really appreciate your feedback.

3 comments:

Rajan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rajan said...

Aizan: May i recommend loading up on Low Glycemic carbs before your workout and High Glycemic Carbs and Protein post work out.

Check out the link below for more details on what the glycemic index of some popular foods are. I am sure you will be able to find the right combincation of foods without having to rob a bank.

http://www.carbs-information.com/glycemic-index-food-chart.htm

Hope this helps.

Danie Dharma said...

Just check the labels of the common foods, you'll be surprized how much protein you can get from pretty cheap food. A can of tuna, 44 grams protein, a meal of 2 slices wholemeal bread + 2 slices cheese + 1 egg = 21 grams protein. Just 2 examples :P If your willing to cook, chicken meat typically 22 grams protein per 100 grams, fish 125 grams protein per 1kg, eggs 6 grams protein each (3 grams yolk, 3 grams white). Since those conversions are a little hard to come by.