Monday, March 8, 2010

Is a Gym Membership Necessary?

Should you join a gym? Is it necessary? Yes and no. If you've been sedentary for quite a while, joining a gym may well be the kickstart you need to a more active lifestyle. It will help you start a routine. Depending on your schedule, you should choose a gym that's near your workplace or near your home. Better yet (read: if you have the cash), take the 'passport' package so that you can have access to all the gym's outlets. So you're not limited to only one branch.
For example, I live in Bukit Jalil but work in Damansara. A good option is to get a Passport Fitness First package which allows me to workout at the FF outlet at the building nextdoor during workdays. On weekends, I can hit the FF in Puchong since it's a lot nearer from my place.
But once you're disciplined enough or addicted to working out, having a gym membership is not really necessary. A typical gym membership could cost about RM1,200 - RM1,800 per month. With that kind of cash you can actually setup your own humble 'gym' at home. All you need is a couple of dumbbells, perhaps a barbell (if you're pretty gung-ho), a pull-up bar, a bench, and other optional gym paraphernilia (e.g. TRX). It'll cost about the same or less than a year's worth of gym membership.
You need to renew your gym membership each year. With a humble home gym, you only invest once and you're all set.
Obviously, it's gonna take a lot more moolah to get a squat rack or a smith machine. And if you're living in a pigeon hole like I do, there's frankly no room to place the darn thing anyway. So it's really up to the individual involved.

Some people can workout at home but still have a gym membership simply because they love the environment. Some like me, prefer to workout at home. I don't however, regret joining a gym. It was how I started to get into a routine. And it took me where I am today.


No comments: