Thursday, July 15, 2010

My Diet and Workout Routine

My fellow fitness junkie Adeline dropped a comment in my last entry that she was curious about my diet and workout routine. First and foremost I would like to confess that I am no saint and I'm far from disciplined when it comes to my diet. But my training regime is pretty okay i.e. regular and consistent workout days.

A typical week for me goes like this:

Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays: Training days

Breakfast: Ranges from scrambled eggs, baked beans and toast to mihun goreng with eggs sunny side up to tuna sandwiches.

I sip green tea all day

Lunch: Grilled chicken with mashed potatoes and loads of salad

I usually come home at about 6.30pm (if I manage to cabut from the office on the dot). I'll start lifting weights between 7.30pm and 8.00pm. My training typically lasts about 30 - 45 minutes. I take a protein shake after that. Have a rest for about 30 minutes then hit the shower, get dressed and go get myself dinner.

I don't really care that my dinner is very close to bed time as I know my body well. Eating close to bedtime doesn't make me bloated or fat or whatnot. In fact, I typically wake up with a growling stomach the next morning.

Oh... dinner is usually rice with chicken as lauk...

Yep, rice close to bedtime.

And I STILL find it hard to gain weight.

For non-training days, the diet is still the same but without the protein shake.

And yep, that's pretty much how my week is. Of course, if it's close to the time of the month my appetite would be through the roof and just last week I had nasi lemak for breakfast, nasi campur for lunch, maggi goreng at tea and lasagna for dinner.

:P

See... I told you I'm no saint when it comes to my diet.

2 comments:

FatLouie said...

oh!!! u eat maggi goreng jugak!! now i feel so much better! hahaha...

hey tx for the entry tho. So it's true lah that u'll have rice right b4 bedtime. Hm.. I wonder how does that affect me...??

no one said...

Perhaps I can offer some insight for both of you.

We often recommend people dont eat carbs before bed, not because "the carbs turn to fat", but because they spike insulin, which in turn blocks one of your body's most important fitness-hormones: Growth Hormone (hGH)!

hGH is responsible for a wide range of jobs, most important of which is to repair damage to the body's tissues, and also to stimulate the release of fat which is used to power your body (keep it alive) as you sleep. It's extra important then that those wanting to cut fat avoid carbs before bed. In fact 60% of your hGH is released in the first 4 hours of sleep!

If you're not trying to lose weight, this is not as important, but it's still a "generally good idea". Remember, hGH also repairs your body, not just makes you lose fat.

If you're not gaining weight its simply because you're not eating enough. I can advise you more on this if you'd like. Did you know McDonalds French Fries are good for you? I have a post about that on my blog.