Wednesday, December 8, 2010

New Back Squat PR

Today's training method was a bit different. Kasey just got me to do 5 sets of 5 reps of back squats. 10 reps of just the olympic bar as warmup and then it's straight to the main course.

I think this kind of set and reps are working for me because I made a new personal record for back squats.

I didn't realize I was breezing through the previous weight of 35kg until Kasey pointed it out to me. Before, Kasey had to spot me for 35kg back squats and I was doing it all by myself this time round. I thought that was achievement in itself.

But then Kasey took out all the skinny plates and replaced them with 11.3kg plates on each side.

"Do you think you can lift that much?"

I had doubts whether I could make all those weights stay on my small shoulders. But I did it anyway. On the first try I only managed to do 4 reps. On the second try I did 5 reps.

So there. My new 5RM for back squats is 42.6kg.

Pretty impressive, if I say so myself. Especially when I had been stuck at 28kg for the longest time.

Not bad. And I've only been training intensively for 3 weeks.

p/s Eating A LOT helps.

p/p/s Did not get any help from supplements either.

7 comments:

no one said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle Hui said...

your p/p/s got me cracked up. Still resisting going on the supplements?
Just one question, what is that made up your mind that you would want to lift heavy weights?
I am at the point in my fitness "routine", that is making me think, what next? Go join a gym? Yoga? Train for a marathon? Lift more weights?

no one said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aizan Suhaira said...

Michelle: Not so much about resisting supplements. It's just that we've been 'brainwashed' to think that we NEED supplements to get stronger/bigger. But we don't. Eat enough and train hard. That's all you need to do. I think I've proven that.

And about why I chose weight training. There is no particular reason why I chose it over other kinds of discipline. I just gravitate towards it. It's what I've always been interested in doing and only in recent years did I get the chance to really indulge in it.

It's my calling... so to speak.

KevL said...

"Just one question, what is that made up your mind that you would want to lift heavy weights?"

For glory.

Well, not just that. It's always good to know that you're conditioning yourself to get fitter, better, faster and stronger. I'm heading down the powerlifter path instead of the bodybuilder's, simply because I *personally* think that strength is so much easier to maintain and improve than physique. It's easier to stay strong all year round than to stay ripped and cut. That's the reality of it.

Michelle Hui said...

That's a lot of replies for a rather simple question! Thanks Kasey, Aizan & KevL!

"It's a commitment to excellence"
- I am committed to lose my body fats that's what but I have my wayward days to put me off the goal.
N.E.E.D. M.O.R.E. S.E.L.F-R.E.S.T.R.A.I.N.T!

"...strength is so much easier to maintain and improve than physique."
- Yes! I do truly agree! While I lift heavier now, my physique don't seem to change much though they are much more "tough-er" than when I was in the same dress size 10yrs ago.

Off to mull over on losing those body fats and err... building strength. Yeah! You guys amaze me. Keep up your good work! Write more on your improvements. I love to hear them and they do truly makes me motivated to go have a kick-butt workout.

Aizan Suhaira said...

Michelle: Lol! These are a very passionate bunch of weight lifters. And I'm glad that you find our blogs motivational :)